Sunday, July 13, 2008

Off the Wagon

The last month included far more trips to WalMart than any human actually needs to make in a lifetime. And SIGH, there is one more in the works. Because honestly, I have fallen off the wagon. I haven't fallen severely, but none-the-less, I have been very lazy about making do with whatever we have rather than buying more stuff.

And it occurs to me that it's once again a reflection on the nature of the work/spend cycle. I have been working a lot lately, trying to keep customers happy. When customers stay happy, I am rewarded with a lovely pay check. When I receive said lovely paycheck, I immediately begin to think of all of the effort that went into earning that paycheck. Which reminds me that I will need equally as much effort to earn another check just like it (maybe I should rethink working on commissions) and I instantly start to think of all of the things that will make my life easier if I get them. Which must be a result of programming, because I know that short of a washer which collects, sorts, pre-treats, washes, dries, folds and puts away all of the clothing in my house, there's not much I can think of that makes life easier. Ibuprofen. Demerol. But that's just the arthritis talking. . .

I am still more aware of my spending and my consumption than I was this time last year, but I have to be better. Especially about books.

But if someone invents an oven that does the grocery shopping, I'm whipping out the credit card.

No comments: